And I present to you the first post ever on The Daily Befuddled (but more on that later).
I am currently sitting in my apartment in Olgii-city, Bayan Olgii-province, Mongolia, contemplating my imminent return to America in less than 3 weeks. Life has been less-than-regular during the past 2 years of service and I’m ready to be back in Southern California with sunshine and avocados, although, apparently it’s been raining quite a bit (good for avocados, not so good for sunshine). My months here have given me ample time to contemplate what my life will be like back in America; while my husband begins his master’s program, I will be working, shopping, and blogging in LA. (Quick aside: I’ve never lived in a big “city” before, but never been a small-town girl either. We’ll see how this fits…) Job searching aside, I’ve gone through many phases about what I should do with “time” in America. Here in Mongolia, time is spent 1. looking at images of America online, 2. researching American jobs and goods online, 3. reading books (about America and other places), and 4. doing nothing. Oh, how I miss coffee shops with friends! Oh, how I pine for Saturdays at the mall with mom! Oh, how I want to go to the market and see endless aisles of fresh produce and organic whole grain pasta and not-so-organic-but-otherwise-fantastic bagels! The endless possibilities of life in America are, well, endless. Needless to say, 2 years is a long time and while I wouldn’t take it back for anything, it’s time to get back to Freedom-land.
So what will this blog be, you might be asking yourself? It will be a journey of contradictories that I hope to update daily (hence the title that I thought about for a few excruciating… minutes). I suppose it will be labeled a “lifestyle” blog and these are things that I hope to include:
– my struggles, triumphs, and never-ending-love for clothes and shopping (what fits? CAN I become a thrift shopper? wait, there are SIZES in America?!)
– features that I follow from other sites (30 for 30, instafriday – did I mention that I’m OBSESSED with getting an iPhone?!, FBFF, the Paper Doll Project, etc.)
– recipes and eating in LA (I LOVE food, a point that can’t be overemphasized enough; considering coming to Mongolia? love food? think about this: the main dishes here involve unsalted, unflavored-in-any-way meat and dough. (yes, that’s a period.))
– work, travel (I wish), and school (I’m planning to take a couple classes at a CC for grad school prereqs)
– eventually a “12 for 12” (12 things I want to accomplish in 2012 inspired by this post and this post)
– and all of this while striving to be as eco-conscious as possible.
Please email me, comment me, I’m still not comfortable in saying “tweet me” since I don’t know who/what/how to do this, but apparently I have it on here. I need love.